Media streaming devices make it easy to watch HD content from hundreds or thousands of high-quality channels.
Due to their reasonable prices and ease of use, their popularity has grown significantly in the past several years.
In the media streaming device industry, Amazon has a clear lead with their Amazon Fire TV Stick and Amazon Fire TV product lines. Both of these options provide users with thousands of quality channels and HD streaming options.
The only problem with these devices is that if you don’t live in the U.S., the majority of the available content will be blocked for you.
Like almost all other streaming services, Amazon has region-specific restrictions on their content. Luckily, with the help of a VPN, you’ll be able to stream using your Amazon Fire TV Stick even if you live outside the United States.
How to Select the Best VPN for Amazon TV Stick and Amazon Fire TV
Before signing up with a VPN provider to use with Amazon Fire TV, you need to make sure that the VPN is compatible with your device and has two vital capabilities. It needs to offer fast and consistent streaming speeds and it needs to have a fairly wide selection of U.S.-based servers.
Most of the top VPN service providers offer both of these capabilities as well as several others that will make your streaming experience more enjoyable and secure.
You should make sure that the VPN service you sign up for has a zero-logs policy, meaning that they do not collect information on what shows or movies you’re watching. This helps to keep you anonymous and protects your privacy while streaming.
It’s also important to ensure that the VPN offers malware protection to keep your data and devices safe. This is especially crucial if you’re also using the VPN for your personal computer or smartphone. It can be as easy as clicking an illegitimate link or opening an email attachment from a fraudulent source for your devices, including your Amazon Fire TV Stick, to be infected with malware.
How to Install a VPN Service on Amazon TV Stick and Fire TV
There are two popular methods to install a VPN on your Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick. The first requires you to download the app for your specific VPN from the app store. The second method involves downloading the APK file for the VPN you signed up with.
The method you use to install a VPN on your Amazon Fire TV Stick or Amazon Fire TV depends on whether or not you want to stay away from VPN services that are not listed on the official Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick app store.
There are many VPN service providers, such as IPVanish and ExpressVPN, that have VPN products available to users on the app store. Others may only have their apps available to users in certain countries.
If the VPN you want to doesn’t have an app on the app store or you live outside the countries in which their app is available, then you will need to use the second method to install your VPN.
Method 1: Install a VPN on Amazon Fire TV & TV Stick from the App Store
This method should work with any VPN service provider that has their app listed on the official Amazon Fire TV Stick and Amazon Fire TV app store.
To install the VPN, complete the following steps:
- Go to the Search option on your Amazon Fire TV Stick or Fire TV. Once there, enter the name of the VPN you wish to use. If the app for the VPN is not among the search results, you will need to use the second method to install the VPN (more on that below).
- Click the icon of the VPN app that appears on your screen.
Then click the Download
- Once the downloading process has finished, you need to click Open to launch the VPN app.
- When prompted, sign in using your login credentials. Almost all VPN apps show you a page where you can input a username and password to sign in.
- Choose a VPN server location. Since you want to view content via Amazon Fire TV or on your Amazon Fire TV Stick, you should pick a VPN server that is located in the U.S.
- Click the button that says Connect.
- If you see a VPN connection request pop up on your screen, click OK.
To make sure the VPN is working, try to stream content that you were previously unable to access. If it works, then you’ve done every step correctly and you’re ready to enjoy all of the previously blocked content on your Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick.
If it still doesn’t work, make sure that the connection to the VPN server is active and that you followed all the steps above in the correct order.
Method 2: Install a VPN on Amazon TV Stick & Fire TV Via an APK File & Direct Download
This method is more versatile than the first method as it will work on any device that supports APK files, while the first method only works if a VPN app is available on the app store.
If the Amazon Fire TV app store does not have an app for the VPN you’re using, then you will have to get the official APK file from your VPN provider’s website. Don’t download the APK from any site other than the official website of your VPN provider.
Once you’ve downloaded the APK file, you will need to follow these steps:
- Search for the term Downloader on your Amazon Fire TV Stick or Amazon Fire TV.
- Click the app named “Downloader” and then download it.
- Once your device has finished downloading the app, launch the Downloader app.
- Once the Downloader app is running, you need to enter the URL for the direct download of the APK file for your VPN.
Keep in mind that once you go to your VPN provider’s website, you need to go to the page that lets you download its Android apps.
- Once you’ve located it, download the APK file. When it’s finished downloading, a prompt should appear asking you to install the VPN app, which you should accept. If a prompt doesn’t appear, open the Downloader app and go to the Download section, then click on the APK to start the installation.
A quick note: Since you downloaded the VPN through the Downloader app, the VPN app will not appear in the list of apps on your device. To access it, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- Go to the Settings
- Click on Applications.
- Under Manage Installed Applications you should see the VPN app. Click on it to launch it.
- Sign in to the VPN app with your login credentials.
- Choose a server to connect to. Since you want to view content via Amazon, you should connect to a server that is located in the U.S.
- Then you need to click the button that says Connect.
Method 3: Install a VPN on Your Wi-Fi Router
This is a bonus method of sorts. There’s a chance that the VPN you’re using does not offer an APK file, but offers a router app instead.
There are several benefits to installing a VPN on your router instead of on your devices. The most notable of these benefits is that any device connected to the router will be protected by the VPN. This spares you the inconvenience of having to install a VPN app on each of your devices and then remembering to reconnect to VPN servers if you change locations or otherwise lose your connection.
To use this method for streaming with your Amazon Fire TV Stick or Amazon Fire TV, you’ll need to make sure that the VPN server to which the router is connected is based in the U.S.
The process of installing a VPN on your router can vary depending on your VPN provider and your router. You should consult the documentation that came with your router and on your VPN provider’s website to learn how to complete the installation process. If you have a LinkSys router, we have a comprehensive guide on how to quickly install a VPN on your router.
You may run into some issues while trying to make the VPN app work with your devices. Here are the solutions to some common problems that can occur during this process:
- Uninstall and then reinstall the app. To uninstall it, first go to the Settings menu and then your Applications. Click Manage Applications and delete the VPN app. Once you’ve deleted it, follow on of the methods above to reinstall it.
- Restart your Amazon Fire TV Stick or Amazon Fire TV. Unplug the device and keep it unplugged for a couple of minutes. Plug it back it and see if it works.
- Switch to a different VPN server. Whenever you experience streaming lag, you should try to connect to a different VPN server. Make sure that the new server is also located in the U.S.
- Contact customer support. Of course, you always have the option of contacting the customer support department of your VPN service provider if you feel you cannot solve the problem on your own. They should be able to provide adequate help with fixing your connection on your Amazon Fire devices.
Additionally, many VPN service providers offer live 24/7 chat support. Check to see if your VPN provider has this option. The chat support personnel should be able to help with any issues that may arise.